Russian Orthodox Greek-Catholic Church of America
This pavilion is a replica of the historic Russian Orthodox chapel built at Fort Ross, California, in 1823, at a time when the Czar was claiming part of the West Coast as Russian territory (Rossiya, the original name, means "Russia".) Inside the simple wooden chapel is the main exhibit: an icon whose gold covering is encrusted with jewels. It is one of a type modeled after the famous 16th Century icon of Our Lady of Kazan, whose miraculous powers were recognized by the Church. Other religious objects complete the exhibit. A kiosk sells reproductions of the icon.
The small size of the chapel made it easy to miss. This view is from the nearby Better Living Center. (CD #1 Set 3 #30)
There wasn't much in the way of signage to attract guests inside the plain looking wood structure. It was certainly an unusual pavilion for the Industrial Area. (CD #10 Set 52 #76)
Today, this exhibit is one of those that has been forgotten by most visitors to the Fair, but in 1964 it offered a few quiet minutes away from the noise and high-pressure sales presentations of many of the other pavilions. (CD #61 Set 253 #18)